Nomination Unesco » Purposes
The purposes pursed by the nomination “The Longobard in Italy” through the Objectives and Projects envisaged by the Management Plan are eight, and more precisely:
- Preserving – according the UNESCO standards and perspectives – the very precious Longobard vestiges; providing for their enhancement and for the cultural awareness of the values of the disappeared civilization of that early-medieval people.
- Placing, in the most correct historical position, the cultural, religious and artistic heritage of the only “barbarian” people that could combine the Nordic and Germanic traditions as well as those of many other peoples and folks of the early-medieval Europe with the traditions of the classical culture, expressly preserved and relaunched by the Longobards during their domination in Italy as a cultural continuum between the Greek-Roman age and the European Middle Ages.
- Enhancing a specific policy of European cultural and historical identity in its diversity and unitariness, in particular through the valorization of its cultural heritage and landscape assets and through the transnational cooperation
- Proposing, in a sustainable and eco-friendly view, a new system of visits along new and evocative Italian and European routes to the international cultural tourism and to any type of schools and universities, by favouring, at the same time, the requalification of the existing heritage also through suitable actions of tourist promotion and territorial marketing.
- Connecting other Italian and European places of Longobard historical origins to the places of the “serial site”. Such an aim will be achieved through the creation of regional “Longobard Itineraries” and of two big routes of a Big European Itinerary based on the history and cultural development of the Longobard people (European geo-cultural corridor).
- Developing the territories of the nomination from the socio-economic point of view by enhancing and relaunching their environments, typical products and accommodation facilities and improving the living conditions of the people residing in the areas involved, through recovery interventions, refurbishment, enhancement, maintenance and promotion of the historical-cultural and environmental heritage.
- Increasing the opportunities of cultural enrichment and development of residents and of tourists in order to improve the quality of their lives and stays.
- Strengthening public-private collaboration strategies in order to start up processes of integrated development of the territory.
The technical-scientific and cultural activities at the level of the national network are carried out with the coordination and supervision of the officer appointed by MiBAC, whereas those at the local level are managed by the single Properties with the contribution of local stakeholders and under the supervision of the territorial Monuments and Fine Arts Offices.
The activities of organizational and socio-economic development of the network are coordinated by an expert appointed by Association Italia Langobardorum, whereas those at the local level depend on the “multifunctional centre” set up in each place of the “serial site”.